Thursday, March 10, 2016

How do you know if your students are having fun in P.E. #RESVT


One of my goals as a P.E. teacher is to provide positive first experiences to my students.  The long term outcome of a quality P.E. program is to inspire kids to be healthy and active adults.  In addition, as a P.E. teacher I want to provided students with the skills, knowledge, and experiences to help put them on the road to success to be physically literate.

With that said P.E. must be fun!.  If kids are not engaged and having a good time, then chances are that you will not be able to spark an interest in whatever you are teaching.  I want kids to go home and share their excitement with their parents and find someway to continue their passions outside of the classroom.  That passion will be different for every child in your class, some might fall in love with skiing, while another might really enjoy riding a bike.

That brings me to my next point.  I personally like to expose kids to as many different activites as possible.  Three week units give kids just enough of a taste to see if they like it or not.  You can always come back to a certain skill during during the year.  For example, I taught tennis in the fall for several weeks and this spring I'm doing some racket skills as part of our Tabata warm-up. Keep it fresh and exciting.

My last point is to stay in touch with your students body language.  They will let you know if they like what you are doing.  If your class is not going well, then make some changes or scratch it all together.  If a students start asking if they are done yet or if they have to participate then you probably need to change things up a little. In the video above we were working on the overhand throw.  These two boys were so excited that they broke out into dance.

Bonus Tip, integrate music and cool equipment into your classes.  It will totally transform any activity that is getting a little stale.

Mr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment