Wednesday, September 2, 2015

First week of school is in the books! Spent a lot of time establishing positive culture with clear class expectations. Excited for another school year at #RESVT


At the end of each school year I take some time to reflect on what went well and how I might improve myself as a teacher.  This year one of my goals is to establish clear expectations around entering the gym, cleaning up, and lining up.  I created a Purple Paw Checklist and put it on the wall in the gym.
 At the end of each class we review the checklist and talk about if we earned a paw print sticker for the day.  After six stickers, then that class will get a student chosen activity the following class. We started the year by modeling each expectation on the Purple Paw Checklist and making a video of those expectations.  

One bad habit I have is assuming that kids already know what is expected of them.  This is not always the case, some kids may nod their heads that they understand but not truly know what you want them to do.  I love to get kids moving but have found everyone can benefit from slowing things down.

Stay cool!

Mr. G 


No comments:

Post a Comment