Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Power of Music! #RESVT



People have long been moving to the beat of a drum.  What is it about music that makes us want to move?  Our brains are hardwired to synchronize our movements to the beat of music.  Research shows that music "can reduce the perception of effort significantly and increase endurance by as much as 15 percent."  What this means is that music helps distract you from feeling the discomfort of exercise.  I notice a big difference in my workouts when I'm listening to music.  It allows me to escape from the world and helps me elevate the tempo of my workout.  I often workout early in the morning and sometimes it takes a while to warm-up up both my brain and my body.  Music naturally increases our arousal while stimulating our bodies to move. 

As many of you know I'm a big supporter of integrating music into P.E. class.  As discussed above music has many positive effects on scholars exercise intensity.  From my experience music also helps to break down barriers/fears for young children.  For example if we were doing an new activity or an activity outside a scholars comfort zone, a little music goes a long way toward removing those inhibitions. Music helps add energy and excitement to class.  Certain activites are more appealing than others to scholars.  Seeing your friends having fun moving to the beat of the music while playing a games increases engagement levels.  In closing, music can provide many positive benefits to any educational setting.  So next time you want to get up an move, make sure to turn on some music first.

Have a great day!

Mr. G


Source: http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/805/

No comments:

Post a Comment