This week's Purple Paw Awards goes to a group of scholars in Mrs. Ayer's class for a couple of different projects related to fruits. One was a very cool fruits & veggie song and the other was for some detailed research on watermelon. Keep up the great work.
Essential Questions of the week December 9th, 2013
1. What's the difference between a fruit & vegetable?
According to botanists (those who study plants) a fruit is the part of the plant that develops from a flower. It's also the section of the plant that contains the seeds. The other parts of plants are considered vegetables. These include the stems, leaves and roots — and even the flower bud.
(Side not in 1983 the Supreme Court ruled that a tomato is a vegetable because we eat with dinner and not for dessert. This decision was made to clarify tax laws.)
2. Can an apple a day really keep the doctor away?
most of which are found in the skin.
- Apples are full of fiber that lower blood pressure and help digest foods
- Apples support strong bones and a healthy brain
- Apples help reduce the risk of cancer
- Apples contain Vitamin C which boost your immune system
- Apples help your body fight heart disease, diabetes, and asthma.
- Apples act like a tooth brush, killing bacteria and reducing tooth decay.